Tuesday, September 26, 2006

More Budapest... underground


I am a spelunking bad-ass.

Zach and I are ready. Really, really ready.

Going through a small hole... ahh, the perks of having hips like a boy's.

Going through an even smaller hole - this one was called "Pooh's hole" because when you come out and just your torso is sticking out, you do look (and feel a bit) exactly like pooh bear stuck in Rabbit's hole.

Ok this is not a picture from spelunking (if you couldn't tell). Beside the statue is a plaque that has the Talmud quote "he who saves a single life, it is as if he saved a whole world," and it is a memorial commemorating what my guide on my tour of the Jewish Ghetto referred to as "Righteous Jews" (a term I had never heard before). Specifically, it is in memory of Carl Lutz, a man who lived in Budapest during the war and saved thousands of Jews. Apparently he, on several occasions, managed to stop transport trains and allow people to escape. I'm not quite clear on how he did this - when I asked my guide for clarification, she just said "he would go to the Nazis and say 'you must stop the train, I have a message that there has been an emergency' or something." Really? Was it that simple? Anyway, amazing guy and I thought the sculpture was quite beautiful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lark(e) said...

I will have you know that your blog is at the very top of my links list.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home