Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Athens, one

Hello hello,

I am in Athens, with Sara from Wesleyan.

Observations thus far:
1) Athens is pretty dirty
2) Athens is pretty... modern. Except for the things that are really really old, of course.
3) There are stray animals everywhere, and sometimes they follow you home. Sometimes more than one follows you home at once
4) I think doing any kind of construction work here would be very stressful because at any moment you could be digging into historically crucial old stuff. Like a new rosetta stone or something.
5) Backgammon rules (but I already knew that)
6) Traffic is really loud, and in the morning rush-hour (when I like to be sleeping, mind you) drivers like to try and harmonize with their horns by all leaning on them at once for extended periods of time
7) Traffic is also insane - the rules appear to be more like guidelines (to quote a fine fine film) and if I leave with all my limbs intact I'll feel I've done above average.
8) Best way to buy wine ever: going into a tiny shop where 3 or 4 old greek men are sitting smoking and talking, asking one of them which wine he recommends and having him CAREFULLY fill a plastic bottle for you from a barrell that's about 3 times the size of you, then paying 4 euro for 1.5 liter.
9) the Greeks really want you to sweeten your coffee, and look at you like you're nuts when you say "no sugar" (even if you say it in greek). Then, they look at you like maybe the floor should swallow you up when you ask them to put cold milk in it. Usually they then proceed to steam you some milk and charge you for a cappuccino.
10) I really like buying different things at different stores - the produce store (oh my god I eat tomatoes like they are apples here, absolutely incredible... and with feta? I could die and go to heaven) is full of local, cheap, delicious fruit, the bakery is full of crusy yummy bread... then the supermarket has other things. But still... makes me feel very stereotypically european.
11) it's really, really good to see Sara and I'm looking forward to having her come to Prague over Thanksgiving.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lark(e) said...

i do recall I cat following me home in italy once and me wanting decperatly to adopt it and my my informing me HELL no. It broke my poor little heart.
...
or maybe it was a puppy?

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home